When it’s springtime in Atlanta the pollen is high and it’s time to start thinking about how to prepare your HVAC system for Spring. Here are step-by-step instructions from Anytime HVAC on how to prepare your air conditioning system for the spring time! It’s also always an affordable option to have Anytime HVAC technicians perform an inexpensive air conditioning tune up before summer starts! But if you follow these simple steps you will be one step ahead in how to prepare your HVAC System for spring!
1) Cut trees and shrubbery away from the unit. Your system has to be able to “breathe”. We recommend a minimum of 18” clearance around the sides of the unit and a minimum of 4’ above the top. (This is one of those cases where more is better)
2) Keep mulch and weeds away from the bottom of the unit. Products like “Round Up” are much better than using a weed eater. There are electrical wires that can be damaged by a weed eater if hit. Also mulch, mud, dirt, etc. can clog the bottoms of the coils where heat transfer takes place.
3) Putting out ant killer around the unit can avoid costly repairs. Ants enjoy the cooling of the compressor and the moisture. Quite often we get no cooling calls and find that ants have traveled through the contactor and caused issues.
4) Change the air filter and don’t go cheap. A good pleated filter can help to keep your indoor coils clean. Just like any filter, they do get clogged. We recommend replacing your 1” filter every 3 months (more often if you have pets). If you are wanting something that helps with pollen and allergies, we have air cleaners that provide a much better job than the typical 1” filter.
5) Have your system serviced by a competent technician. Quite often homeowners think they can just “do it themselves”. Maybe you can. Our technicians have the proper tools and expertise to check the refrigerant levels for optimum performance, check the electrical components to make sure they are not weak and failing, clean out the drain lines and test safety switches, chemically clean the outdoor coils, check the amp draw on all the motors and check the temperatures that the system is putting out to ensure that your system is operating at its peak efficiency. Oh yeah, and we replace that 1” filter with a new pleated filter as well.
These simple steps to prepare your HVAC system for spring will make for a more enjoyable season! At Anytime Heating, Cooling and Plumbing, we offer a full satisfaction guarantee and have technicians currently covering the Atlanta metro area including Alpharetta, Cumming, Peachtree City, Lawrenceville and the entire 26 county Metro Atlanta Area! We hope you enjoy your Spring and Summer this year. Anytime Heating, Cooling & Plumbing is here when you need us. 770-504-8881 or www.www.anytimehvac.com